grime

Default Cluster analysis

I have the user enter up to 20 locations, to which are associated
coordinates.

I would like Excel to be able to identify groups of locations based on
their proximity to each other.

So if 5 of those "locations" are within a certain distance from one
another, Excel would assign a group number to those 5, and so on with
all 20 locations.

Can anyone point me into the right direction? Is this problem too
difficult for wittle ol' Excel?

--
grime
grime's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19227

Jerry W. Lewis

Excel, particularly with VBA is a quite handy numerical computation
platform that is more than capable of handling the calculations.
However there are no native functions that already implement the
algorithms. If you don't want to do some programming, then you might
look into some of the commercial statistical add-ins, or perhaps use R,
which is an open source implementation of the S statistical language
www.r-project.org.
There is even an interfact that allows R to be called from Excel
http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/ex...m/RSrv135.html

Jerry

grime wrote:

I have the user enter up to 20 locations, to which are associated
coordinates.

I would like Excel to be able to identify groups of locations based on
their proximity to each other.

So if 5 of those "locations" are within a certain distance from one
another, Excel would assign a group number to those 5, and so on with
all 20 locations.

Can anyone point me into the right direction? Is this problem too
difficult for wittle ol' Excel?

grime

I don't mind using VBA, which I figured was necessary, but I don't know
where to start.

I'll check those links and see where that points me.

Thanks, and anyone else with additional information, please inform.