George

Default mantaining formula when inserting col

Simple example:
C3 = B3+1

Insert a new column C; old col C changes to ..
D3 = B3+1 (where col D was col C)

A similar thing occurs if I copy col C, and 'insert copied cells' at
col C. Then, I get ...
C3 = A3+1
D3 = B3+1

What I'd like is to maintain the relative offset ..
C3 = B3+1
D3 = C3+1

Thanks,
George

Anne Troy

Then your formulas need to be written as, for example =$B3
Using an "absolute reference" like this keeps the "B" from changing to "C"
if you insert a column.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"George" wrote in message
Simple example:
C3 = B3+1

Insert a new column C; old col C changes to ..
D3 = B3+1 (where col D was col C)

A similar thing occurs if I copy col C, and 'insert copied cells' at
col C. Then, I get ...
C3 = A3+1
D3 = B3+1

What I'd like is to maintain the relative offset ..
C3 = B3+1
D3 = C3+1

Thanks,
George

George

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:18:45 -0600, JE McGimpsey
wrote:

One way:

C3: =OFFSET(C3,,-1)+1

I had tried that, and thought it didn't work. Oops. So, thanks.

George
David McRitchie

Hi Anne,
What you are trying to force is the exact opposite of what the poster
wanted. It is a amazing how someone searches for things and can't
find it, but when they get around to actually asking the question they
use the keywords that might have actually found an answer in this case
offset. The other answers are what would be wanted.

Hi George,
I like to place a zero instead of leaving the empty parameter, perhaps
you had picked up the previous row instead of column in your previous
attempts. You can copy the formulas and formatting with the
"format painter" toolbar icon.

I have a macro for maintaining formulas if you were inserting rows
instead of columns.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
and a page on use of OFFSET, which is probably more oriented to
inserting rows rather than columns
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/offset.htm
---
HTH,