Randy Harris

Default Help with pivot table

My ignorance of pivot tables is causing me grief, I'd appreciate some help.
At least I think I should be using a pivot table.

On a worksheet I have a number of rows with 3 columns (Date, Name and
Activity). I'd like to present that data in a pivot table with Name as the
Row Heading, Date for the Column heading and Activity as the data. The
wizard will only let me put a "Count of Activity" or "Sum of Activity" in
the data field. How do I get it to just put the Activity code there, not a
count or sum or any other aggregate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

haranadh

"Randy Harris" wrote:

My ignorance of pivot tables is causing me grief, I'd appreciate some help.
At least I think I should be using a pivot table.

On a worksheet I have a number of rows with 3 columns (Date, Name and
Activity). I'd like to present that data in a pivot table with Name as the
Row Heading, Date for the Column heading and Activity as the data. The
wizard will only let me put a "Count of Activity" or "Sum of Activity" in
the data field. How do I get it to just put the Activity code there, not a
count or sum or any other aggregate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

the solutiion for ur problem will be
after creating the pivot table go to the pivot table wizard
go to layout
double click on the tab in data field " sum or count of activity" in ur case
u get a pop up box saying pivot table field which contains a name field
where u can give any name u want.

i hope that solves ur problem

Debra Dalgleish

If a data field contains blank cells, or cells with text, it defaults to
"Count of".

To change the summary function while in the Pivot Wizard:
Double-click on the data field button, e.g. Count of Activity
Select a different function from the Summarize by list
Click OK

To change the summary function in the Pivot Table:
Double-click on the Data field button, e.g. Count of Activity
(if you have more than one data field, right-click on the
field column heading, and choose Field Settings)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Jim May

In PT-101 - I think something was said along the lines of:

The Data Area is designed originally and intended to summarize numeric data,
and if non-numeric info is used you can only obtain characteristics like
count and ?? hummmm maybe someting else, not sure what..

If I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me..
TIA,

Randy Harris wrote:
My ignorance of pivot tables is causing me grief, I'd appreciate some
help.
At least I think I should be using a pivot table.

On a worksheet I have a number of rows with 3 columns (Date, Name and
Activity). I'd like to present that data in a pivot table with Name as
the
Row Heading, Date for the Column heading and Activity as the data. The
wizard will only let me put a "Count of Activity" or "Sum of Activity" in
the data field. How do I get it to just put the Activity code there, not
count or sum or any other aggregate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Randy Harris

"Jim May" wrote in message
In PT-101 - I think something was said along the lines of:

The Data Area is designed originally and intended to summarize numeric

data,
and if non-numeric info is used you can only obtain characteristics like
count and ?? hummmm maybe someting else, not sure what..

If I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me..
TIA,

This seems to be a limiting characteristic of the Pivot Table. I was not
able to find a way to make it work. I went back to the original data source
and created a Crosstab query. Unlike anything I was able to find in the
Pivot Table, the Crosstab has a "First" selection, to use in place of Count,
Sum, Avg, etc. The resulting worksheet lacks the "sophistication" of a
Pivot Table, but is a lot better than nothing.

Randy