Default Numbers divide by 10 in any cell...

Something really strange has happened to my Excel. Whether I open a
brand new workbook or use an existing one, any number I type in any
cell is divided by ten. Eg, 100 will turn to 10 and 123 to 12.3.
This does not happen if the cell is set to 'text' but any other choice;
'general', 'number' etc will cause the same mysterious chopping of the
value.
Any suggestions what might be going on?

Cheers from Ollie

Anne Troy

Ollie, probably this will help:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/... ft_excel.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Something really strange has happened to my Excel. Whether I open a
brand new workbook or use an existing one, any number I type in any
cell is divided by ten. Eg, 100 will turn to 10 and 123 to 12.3.
This does not happen if the cell is set to 'text' but any other choice;
'general', 'number' etc will cause the same mysterious chopping of the
value.
Any suggestions what might be going on?

Cheers from Ollie

Absolutely spot on!
Thanks for an extremely quick and accurate reply!
:-)

Ollie

Anne Troy

You're quite welcome, Ollie. :)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Absolutely spot on!
Thanks for an extremely quick and accurate reply!
:-)

Ollie

Question is; why didn't I just look there in the first place, myself?
Sheer laziness I suppose! You get so used to computers working quickly
and accurately that when somthing goes wrong....well, you just get
angry and frustrated!
Again, thanks!
Ollie

Gord Dibben

Ollie

It is not all that uncommon for users to check that box and set to 2 decimal
places thinking that is the setting for showing the number of decimal places
in an entered number.

i.e. enter 1234.56789 and see 1234.57

The setting for that is actually found under FormatCellsNumberNumber

Gord