Veronica

Default HELP! Settings are not saving

Every time I open my excel, my calcualtion keeps going back to manual. It
even happens in the middle of working on a spreadsheet. Also, if I hit save
or save as, when I close the worksheet is ALWAYS asks if I want to save. It
has been happening for a week or two.
Any ideas????

Dave Peterson

First, the easy answer...

Excel determines what the calculation mode should be by the first workbook
that's opened in that session. So if the user opens a workbook that's been
saved in manual calculation mode as the first workbook, the user will be stuck
in manual calculation mode.

This seems to be a common problem for people who share workbooks in a common
folder--someone changes calculation to manual and then saves the file. Then a
subsequent user opens that workbook first and is in manual calculation mode.

The answer is either open a workbook that saved in automatic mode--or learn how
to toggle that setting.

The second answer...

Do you have any of these volatile functions in your workbook?

=AREAS()
=OFFSET()
=CELL()
=INDIRECT()
=ROWS()
=COLUMNS()
=NOW()
=TODAY()
=RAND()

* may not be volatile in all versions

These evaluate with each calculation. And cause excel to think your workbook
has changed.

And excel likes to recalculate workbooks created in earlier versions. Is this
the case in your situation?

--

Dave Peterson
Veronica

That wasn't it. I made sure I changed all my sheets to automatic before I
saved and closed them. When I opened them again they said automatic, but once
I was working in it for a while it went back to manual again.