Paul (ESI)

Default Drop down menu with emp name then autopopulate with supervisor...

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

Dave Peterson

I would create another worksheet with the employee name in column A and the
supervisor name in column B.

Then I could use data|Validation to choose from this list.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more info:
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

And then I'd use a formula to retrieve the supy's name:

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

Debra has notes on =vlookup() at:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson
Paul (ESI)

Wow! That worked wonderfully! Thank you so very much!

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave I almost have have the same problem. I went into the website and it
doesn't help me.

Please help me.

I have 2 spreadsheets Book 2 and Book 3.

Book 2 has info.

Column A Column B Column C Column D Column F
Column G
Name Rate Address City Zip
Code State
Jane Doe 12.00 1 Add Rd NY 11111
NJ
John Dole 22.00 2 Add rd NY 11111
NJ

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave I almost have have the same problem. I went into the website and it
doesn't help me.

Please help me.

I have 2 spreadsheets Book 2 and Book 3.

Book 2 has info.

Column A Column B Column C Column D Column F
Column G
Name Rate Address City Zip
Code State
Jane Doe 12.00 1 Add Rd NY 11111
NJ
John Dole 22.00 2 Add rd NY 11111
NJ

Book 3, when i choose name i want automaically the rate to come up. Ex when
i chosee jane doe i want her rate to pop up as 12.00

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Cynthia

Try
=VLOOKUP(A2,[Book2.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Roger for helping me about the vlookup portion.

I am trying to validate the list from Book 2 into book 3 and i am unable to
do it. how would i go about doing it.

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure what validate means in this situation.

And I'm not sure why the =vlookup() didn't bring back the value (12) for you?
What was returned?

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Roger,

I got the validation part. I'm getting an N/A when i use the vlookup. I
made a table in worksheet called rates where im getting the rates.

In book 5 is where i will putting all the info.

I am using this formula to input in book5 please tell me if i am wrong and
how to change it.

=Vlook(G2,[Rates.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Cynthia

That is not quite correct. It should be Vlookup, not Vlook
=Vlookup(G2,[Rates.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)

I don't understand why you said you were having problems in your previous
posting.

If you are getting #N/A errors with the corrected formula, that means the
name in G2 is not present in column A of Rates.xls

You can avoid the error by wrapping the formula in an IF(ISNA()) statement

=IF(ISNA(Vlookup(G2,[Rates.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)),"",

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure
if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in
Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The
employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also
possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the
supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor
column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

~~~~~~
| |
|c--OD
| _)
| |
|-. |
/ `-# /A
/ /_|..`#.J/
||LJ `m''
ptaylor

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your help. Originally I put in the wrong Cell info. The formula
works that's for all your help!!

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure
if
it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly
appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in
Excell
be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The
employee
column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the
employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do
this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also
possible,
and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the
supervisor
column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For
example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in,
say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the
supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the
entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and
have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor
column
for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,