Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cynthia Cynthia is offline

Default Drop down menu with emp name then autopopulate with supervisor

Dave I almost have have the same problem. I went into the website and it
doesn't help me.

Please help me.

I have 2 spreadsheets Book 2 and Book 3.

Book 2 has info.

Column A Column B Column C Column D Column F
Column G
Name Rate Address City Zip
Code State
Jane Doe 12.00 1 Add Rd NY 11111
NJ
John Dole 22.00 2 Add rd NY 11111
NJ

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I would create another worksheet with the employee name in column A and the
supervisor name in column B.

Then I could use data|Validation to choose from this list.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more info:
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

And then I'd use a formula to retrieve the supy's name:

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

Debra has notes on =vlookup() at:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

Paul (ESI) wrote:

I have Office 2003. I had something I wanted to do and am not sure if it is
even possible. If anybody knows how, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate
any help I can get. What I want to do is to have one column in Excell be for
employee name and one be for the name of the supervisor. The employee column
should simply be a drop down menu where the user can select the employee from
a list of the employees in the office. Please let me know how to do this if
it is possible, but then please let me know if this is also possible, and how
to achieve it if so:

What I'd want when the user chooses an employee is for the supervisor column
to automatically be populated with the name of their supervisor. For example,
if Fred Krueger's supervisor is Mick Foley, when you select Fred in, say, row
2 of the sheet, it should automatically place Mick Foley in the supervisor
column of row 2 so that is shows him as Fred's supervisor for the entry.
After that, you should be able to select Neil Anderson in row 3 and have it
automatically enter his supervisor Ray Stantz in the supervisor column for
that row.

Once again, if anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,