anton

Default create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

I am trying to compute the following: multiply the price times the discount %
and then subtract that from the price. Then take that answer and multiply it
by the tax %. For example price is 10, discount is 20% and tax% is 8%.
price is 8 after discount
multiply 8 times 8% = sales tax
and then subtract that from 8 to get the final
price of 7.36
Thank You very much for your help
JE McGimpsey

One way:

Assume price in A1, Discount in B1, Tax rate in C1. To get the value you
want:

=A1*(1-B1)*(1-C1)

However, that seems backward to me - I'd have thought you'd subtract the
discount, then add the tax:

=A1*(1-B1)*(1+C1)

As you've stated it, if you add tax to the "final price" of 7.36, you get

=7.36 * 1.08 = 7.95

OTOH, if you want to know what price will equal $8.00 after tax, then use

=A1*(1-B1)/(1+C1) = 7.41

In article ,
"anton" wrote:

I am trying to compute the following: multiply the price times the discount %
and then subtract that from the price. Then take that answer and multiply it
by the tax %. For example price is 10, discount is 20% and tax% is 8%.
price is 8 after discount
multiply 8 times 8% = sales tax
and then subtract that from 8 to get the final
price of 7.36
Thank You very much for your help

JE McGimpsey

Yeah, your method seemed logical to me, too. I just wanted to make sure
the difference was noted.

In article ,

I wish I had a minus tax in Texas