avjunior

Default How do I copy a formula with relative ref. keeping the same ref.?

How do I copy cells with relative references into other cells kepping the
same references? e.g. cell A3 has the formula A1+A2. A6 has the formula
A4+A5. I want to copy A3 and A4 into A15 and A16 in order to have A15 with
the formula A1+A2 and A16 with the same formula as A6 (A4+A5).
Ron de Bruin

Hi

Change the formula to

=$A$1+$A$2

Look also in the Excel help

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"avjunior" wrote in message ...
How do I copy cells with relative references into other cells kepping the
same references? e.g. cell A3 has the formula A1+A2. A6 has the formula
A4+A5. I want to copy A3 and A4 into A15 and A16 in order to have A15 with
the formula A1+A2 and A16 with the same formula as A6 (A4+A5).

Earl Kiosterud

junior

=$A$1 + $A$2

This formula, in A3 can be copied anywhere, and the cell references won't
change.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"avjunior" wrote in message
How do I copy cells with relative references into other cells kepping the
same references? e.g. cell A3 has the formula A1+A2. A6 has the formula
A4+A5. I want to copy A3 and A4 into A15 and A16 in order to have A15 with
the formula A1+A2 and A16 with the same formula as A6 (A4+A5).

Dab

You need to understand the difference between 'relative' and 'absolute'
addressing.

As 'relative' suggests, if you move or copy a formula, the cell references
in that formula change as they are relative the cell in question. This is
Excel's default.

In 'absolute' mode, formulas refer to absolute locations; moving or copying
a formula won't change the reference to an absolute cell.

To differentiate between modes, insert '$' symbols in front of the cell row
and column reference as in $A$14 (as others have suggested)

There is a mixed reference mode that you may be interested in too . Search
Excel help for an excellent explanation.

The other way to do this is to simply edit and past the contents of the
cell - rather than the cell - does that makes sense?

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"avjunior" wrote in message
How do I copy cells with relative references into other cells kepping the
same references? e.g. cell A3 has the formula A1+A2. A6 has the formula
A4+A5. I want to copy A3 and A4 into A15 and A16 in order to have A15 with
the formula A1+A2 and A16 with the same formula as A6 (A4+A5).

RagDyer

If you would like to copy your formulas *without* changing the references
from relative to absolute, you can simply copy the formula to the clipboard,
and then paste it anywhere, as many times as you wish, without having the
cell references change.

Select the *entire* formula in the formula bar.
Right click in the selection and choose "Copy".
HIT <Enter
*OR*
<Esc

Now, paste anywhere, and as many times as you wish, without having the cell
references change.
--
HTH,

RD