Ltat42a

Default Blank cell if no data

Hi All....
I'm using a formula (=SUM(E96+C97)-D97) to calculate some line items.
How can I edit this so that the cells below it are blank until a figure
is entered?

Thanx....Ltat42a

--
Ltat42a
Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24735

duane

=if(isblank(e97),"",e97+c97-d97)

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

Ltat42a

When I tried that, I got an error referring to a circular reference.
I thought the formula I was looking for did include the "if" statement,
""'s and the sum formula, I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I do have running totals below this row - it resembles a check
register,
one column for income, one for expense, the other a running balance.

The sum formulas I'm using work good, I just wanted to have blank
cells in the balance column until a figure is entered into the income
or expense
column.

Thanx.

--
Ltat42a
Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24735
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

pinmaster

HI,
Say that your formula is in F97 and you want your formula to calculate
only when a number is entered in D97 then:
=IF(D970,SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
or..the shorter version
=IF(D970,E96+C97-D97,"")

in simple terms
=IF(D970,if true, if false)

Hope this helps!
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Ltat42a

pinmaster Wrote:
HI,
Say that your formula is in F97 and you want your formula to calculate
only when a number is entered in D97 then:
=IF(D970,SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
or..the shorter version
=IF(D970,E96+C97-D97,"")

in simple terms
=IF(D970,if true, if false)

Hope this helps!
JG

Yes...that does help. My formula is in E97(=sum(e96+c97)-d97. It sums
the balance in E96, adds whatever figure is in C97, then subtracts
whatever figure is in D97. How can I edit the above formula so that if
C97 and/or D97 is blank,
the formula cell is blank? Column C is my income, Column D is my
expenses, Column E is my running balance.
I'm wanting Column E to be blank until I enter a figure in either
column c or d.

Is that possible?

--
Ltat42a
Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24735
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

pinmaster

Hi
Try one of the following:
=IF(OR(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
formula will calculate when a number is entered in either cell
or
=IF(AND(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
formula will calculate only when both contain numbers.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

Ltat42a

pinmaster Wrote:
Hi
Try one of the following:
=IF(OR(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
formula will calculate when a number is entered in either cell
or
=IF(AND(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")
formula will calculate only when both contain numbers.

HTH
JG

The 2nd formula worked best, I got an error on the first one you
listed.
I copied the formula down about 50-60 rows and it seems to work just
fine.

I appreciate the help - Thank You!

Ltat42a

--
Ltat42a
Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24735
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

pinmaster

Hi
Glad I could help, but the first formula should work also, here's what
it should look like:
=IF(OR(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")

In any case thanks for the feedback!

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474939

Ltat42a

pinmaster Wrote:
Hi
Glad I could help, but the first formula should work also, here's what
it should look like:
=IF(OR(C970,D970),SUM(E96+C97)-D97,"")

In any case thanks for the feedback!

Regards
JG

I did add the "0"(zero) to the "C97" and it worked fine, thanx JG

....Ltat42a