cwinters

Default Chart title text linked from a cell? Possible?

I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the
contents of a cell. It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is
possible. It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to
manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in
the contents of a cell somewhere. Is there a way to do it?
I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already
written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into
the title space.

A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a
chart, whose contents are defined by a cell contents. For example, I
want to create a text box on a chart that says "growth 10%" and that
text is contained within cell A11.

--
cwinters
cwinters's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18386

Andy Pope

Yes you can link the title to a cell.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

To create a textbox select the chart and type the cell address, as
described above, in the formula bar.

Cheers
Andy

cwinters wrote:
I would like to make a chart that has its title text linked to the
contents of a cell. It is not obvious how to do this, or even if it is
possible. It appears like the chart title is static -- you have to
manually type in the title, even if it already, conveniently, exists in
the contents of a cell somewhere. Is there a way to do it?
I have a giant array of charts I am making and the titles are already
written into the first column, it would be ncie to just link them into
the title space.

A second, but related question is, can I create text boxes within a
chart, whose contents are defined by a cell contents. For example, I
want to create a text box on a chart that says "growth 10%" and that
text is contained within cell A11.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
cottage6

You can get the title in by first creating a text box in the chart, then
typing = in the formula bar and clicking on the cell you want to get the
title from. If you're going to type the cell reference, you still need the
sheet name in the formula even with the title on the same sheet as the chart.
HTH.