fally

Default csv manipulation question

HI,
I'M a bit of a newb to all this, and was wondering if the following was
possible. Sorry if this is a repetative question, as i have used the
search facility and not found an obvious answer.

I have a large csv file which i would like to re-format to look like a
spreadsheet.
A portion of the data is as below

Point System Name: MS.AH9029.DEHUM.OP
Point Name: CC-9716.DEHUM.OP
Point Type: LAI
Classification: Building Automation
Descriptor: CC-9716.DEHUM.OP
Panel Name: MS.OSN11
Point Address: -Virtual-
Sensor Type: Voltage
Slope: 1
COV Limit: 1
Engineering Units: %rH
Analog Representation: Float
# of decimal places: 2
Initial Value: 0
Totalization: None
Enabled for RENO: No
Graphic Name: <Undefined
Informational Text: << No Text Defined
Alarm Type: Not Alarmable

Point System Name: MS.AH3098.DEHUM.OP
Point Name: CC-3098.DEHUM.OP
Point Type: LAI
Classification: Building Automation
Descriptor: CC-3098.DEHUM.OP
Panel Name: MS.OSN12
Point Address: -Virtual-
Sensor Type: Voltage
Slope: 1
COV Limit: 1
Engineering Units: %rH
Analog Representation: Float
# of decimal places: 2
Initial Value: 0
Totalization: None
Enabled for RENO: No
Graphic Name: <Undefined
Informational Text: << No Text Defined
Alarm Type: Not Alarmable

As you can see, each record is separated by the long line of
asterisks.
Is it possible to have a list of records, with the data for each record
(which is currently field2) stored in a row and have field 1 (Pointname,
point system name,point type, etc) as column headings?
I have approx 700 records and in the above format it is not easy to
review easily
Any help gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance
Fally

--
fally
fally's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27955

Gary''s Student

1. copy your .csv file to a .txt file (this will get you the wizard when you
open it)
2. when you open the file, tell the wizard to use the colon ( : ) as the
field separator
3. select the first group of descriptions ( Point system name, point name,
....) and copy it.
4. go to the destination worksheet and paste the data Special with transpose
selected ( this will create a row)
6. Successively copy each block of data (column B) and paste it transpose to
the destination sheet
--
Gary's Student