DP

Default how to get data automatic moves to next column?

I am using a barcode scanner to read in barcode numbers into excel. But
everytime after I scan a barcode, excel moves to the cell in the next row.
What I want is moves down to the next column.
Anyone with information please help.

Thankyou very much!
B. R.Ramachandran

Maybe there is way of setting up Excel and/or the barcode scanner such that
the values go to successive columns rather than rows. However, the following
formula may be a workaround for your current setup.

If the scanned data are going to, say A1, A2, A3, ......, and you want them
to go to A1, B1, C1 ...., enter the following formula in B1, and fill-in the
formula across the columns (C1, D1, ..........maybe a lot more; some of them
will stay empty and will get filled up as more barcodes are scanned)

=IF(OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN()-1,0)="","",OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN()-1,0))

Note: The scanned barcodes will still go down the rows, but they will be
copied across ithe columns.

If the first scanned barcode (i.e., the topmost) is not in A1 but in some
other cell, say B7, then enter the following formula in C7,

=IF(OFFSET($B$7,COLUMN()-COLUMN($B$7),0)="","",OFFSET($B$7,COLUMN()-COLUMN($B$7),0))

Change the '$B$7's in the formula (there are fourof them) appropriately.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"DP" wrote:

I am using a barcode scanner to read in barcode numbers into excel. But
everytime after I scan a barcode, excel moves to the cell in the next row.
What I want is moves down to the next column.
Anyone with information please help.

Thankyou very much!

AlfD

Hi!

Worth having a look at Tools Options Edit Move selection after
enter.

This controls behaviour for keyboard inputs and may well deal with your
inputs.

Alf

--
AlfD
AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4785

Gord Dibben

DP

Just a heads' up but no help for your problem.

Rows run horizontally, columns run vertically.

i.e. You cannot "move down" to the next column.

You can "move down" to the next row or "move across" to the next column.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP