Jeff Eckermann

Default Cannot insert extended ascii character

This article tells about how to insert an extended ascii character:

The "Alt + decimal code" method works well with my pc at work. But I cannot
make that work with my laptop at home (Dell Inspiron 600m, if it matters).
Using Office Professional 2003 on Windows XP in both cases. When I type in
the code on my laptop, nothing happens. Whether I use the normal laptop
number keys, or the ten-key keypad with number lock on, it makes no
difference.

Can anyone give me any clues?

TIA

Biff

Hi!

I don't know why this won't work for you but you can still do what you want.

Goto InsertSymbol
In the FROM drop down, select ASCII decimal

OR, if you know the code number enter this in the cell:

=CHAR(198)

This is the same as ALT 0198. Then if you wanted to you could convert the
formula to a constant by CopyPaste SpecialValues.

Biff