Anand

Default Unlock File after crash

How do I unlock an Excel File after a crash. It unlocks if I re-boot my
machine, but I am wondering if there is a lock file in some temp directory
that I can delete instead of re-booting

Thanks

Dave Peterson

Sometimes (depending on the version of windows you're running), you can do this.

Close any visible instance of excel you see.

Hit alt-ctrl-delete and see if there are any hidden instances of excel still
running (check the processes tab, too). If you see any, kill them.

Then clean up your windows temp folder.
windows start button|Run
%temp%
is a quick way to get there.

delete as much as you can

Then restart excel and file|open to test if it works.

If you've lived a good life (and are running a version of windows that lets you
kill those hidden processes), you might get lucky.

--

Dave Peterson