Viv_Martin

Default Can I make multiple room scheduler (Excel) 15 minute increments?

How can I set-up a multiple room scheduler with15 minute increments in Excel?
Conrad Carlberg

Hi Viv,

I've done exactly that in Excel. I put the names of the rooms in Column A,
starting in Row 2, and the times of day in Row 1, starting in Column B. Now
you can enter the name of the event or the person into the cells that show
the intersection of the room and the range of times.

If you have just a few room reservations to account for, and don't need to
schedule way out into the future, copy that sheet several times. Now it's
convenient to change the name of each sheet so that it displays a different
date or day-of-week.

If you have an even more slightly complicated situation (for example, if you
need to identify specific resources, other than the room itself, that need
to be scheduled, or you need to schedule well into the future, or you need
to specify a bunch of other information such as account numbers or food
service or people's names) then you need to get a database involved. But if
so, continue to use Excel for the data entry because the worksheet is so
much more flexible as to layout and appearance than is a database's data
sheet.

--
C^2
Conrad Carlberg

Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

"Viv_Martin" wrote in message
How can I set-up a multiple room scheduler with15 minute increments in

Excel?

Viv_Martin

Hi Conrad

Thanks for that; pretty much what I imagined. We basically have 7 rooms
rented out day and night; some are rented to the same people; some are
different. I guess I will have to experiment with colours and merged cells.
This will extend out over six to twelve months.

It's going to get complex as it has become a major source of income and has
staved off the evil day!

Viv Martin

Conrad Carlberg

Thanks for that; pretty much what I imagined. We basically have 7 rooms
rented out day and night; some are rented to the same people; some are
different. I guess I will have to experiment with colours and merged

cells.

By all means experiment, but know that you limit what you can do with them
when you merge cells. Colors work very well for this purpose, as to heavy
borders on the left edge of the first cell in a scheduled event and the
right edge of the final cell in that event. This helps to distinguish
consecutive events.

This will extend out over six to twelve months.

Do you mean your development or the range of scheduled dates? If the latter,
I urge you to look into using, say, Access to store the data, Excel to
enter, edit and display it, and VBA to manage the connection between the
workbook and the database. For one thing, when you get, say, six months of
daily worksheets, each with several rooms scheduled over a 24 hour period,
things slow way down. I've found it much more efficient to use just one
worksheet and repopulate it from the database in response to a user's
clicked request for a different date.