Default Read Only Problems

WinXP Home on PC and Laptop
Excel 2002 on PC and Excel 2003 on Laptop
Home PC used to store documents.
When using laptop to retrieve Excel files over home network,
all files, when opened, are marked READ ONLY.
When those same files are pulled up on PC,
they ARE NOT read only.

Suggestions?
Samu M

" wrote:

WinXP Home on PC and Laptop
Excel 2002 on PC and Excel 2003 on Laptop
Home PC used to store documents.
When using laptop to retrieve Excel files over home network,
all files, when opened, are marked READ ONLY.
When those same files are pulled up on PC,
they ARE NOT read only.

Suggestions

Hi
i think that your problem is at LAN settings, goto properties - sharing (in
share folder) and give premission to read and write data.

after this it should be fixed.

I have some experience with LAN, and all the files are set-up to share, and
for the user to change the file. My security and sharing settings are
correct. Any other ideas? I'm stumped. I even checked things such as
administrator rights on the laptop, re-saving to .xml and such. Nothing I do
seems to keep the laptop from only pulling up Excel files in read-only. It
doesn't happen with powerpoints, word documents.
I appreciate any further suggestions you might have.
Todd

"Samu M" wrote:

" wrote:

WinXP Home on PC and Laptop
Excel 2002 on PC and Excel 2003 on Laptop
Home PC used to store documents.
When using laptop to retrieve Excel files over home network,
all files, when opened, are marked READ ONLY.
When those same files are pulled up on PC,
they ARE NOT read only.

Suggestions

Hi
i think that your problem is at LAN settings, goto properties - sharing (in
share folder) and give premission to read and write data.

after this it should be fixed.

Ragdyer

Just a thought.

You might try the same fix that works on files that are opened from CD's and
have their attribute in properties automatically set to "Read Only".

Navigate to the file in Windows Explorer on the laptop, and right click on
the file name.
Click on "properties", and under the "General" tab, under "Attributes",
*Uncheck* "Read Only".

Then, open and save the file on the laptop, and see if that setting "sticks"
for future availability.
--
HTH,

RD