saziz

Default Split values from one cell to dif. cells

Hi All,
I have this flat file format data in one cells:

29-Sep 24-Shaban Thu 5:34A 7:01A 12:57P 6:54P 7:16P 12:57A

I want to split :

Date|Month|Day|Times. in dif. cells

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Syed

--
saziz
saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6350

David McRitchie

One line isn't must to go on but it looks like you have extra space
after Shaban so you can probably use the
Test import wizard, if reading in file (file, open)
Text to Columns, if already in one column in Excel (data, text to columns)

They are both the same, so on the first dialog you have a choice
of delimiter (space), or fixed columns.

I think you can use the fixed width (try it first), or the delimited

The rest is rather straight forward follow the choices,
click where you want to separate the column, click again to
remove a separation.

Click on the column title and choose the type of data
you can also throw away a column if you don't want it.
Give the order for the dates.

Once you've got the hang of it, you'll remember. If you will be
doing the same format files many times you can record a macro.

BTW, Opening the file you want to use .txt extension if you want
the control of the text import wizard. If you had a .csv extension then
Excel would determine that you want whatever you don't want, so you would
change the extension to .txt and try again.

When finished if you want to move columns around see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...and.htm#cursor
---
HTH,

"saziz" wrote in message

Hi All,
I have this flat file format data in one cells:

29-Sep 24-Shaban Thu 5:34A 7:01A 12:57P 6:54P 7:16P 12:57A

I want to split :

Date|Month|Day|Times. in dif. cells

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Syed

--
saziz
saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6350
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471961

saziz

Hi David,
Yes I figured this out. I saved this file as .txt and opened it again
through excel wizard. It solved the problem.
Thank you
Syed