Scott

Default validation list drop down box, how do I bring in text commands

I have a reference set in excel that is two columns. The first column lists
functions in text (i.e. AVERAGE, COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN....). The second
column lists the corresponding function number (i.e. AVG = 1, COUNT =2....).
I made a drop down box using data, validation, list so that the function
numbers appear in a row. The row below I put in subtotal(grab command from
drop down, data set to calc). I can't figure out how to return the TEXT from
my columns above, rather than function number. I want my drop down to have
AVERAGE, not 1.

David McRitchie

Hi Scott,
Debra Dalgleish has pages on validation, suggest you start there to
see if your question can be answered from the
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Peter Noneley has a workbook that has a sheet for each of the functions
that he included. His site has been down but Peter gave Ron de Bruin permission
to distribute from his site in the meantime.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/xlfdic01.zip
I would highly recommend that.

You might also see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...042111033.aspx
if you don't have an Excel Help file.