MatthewTap

Default Conditional Format -- shading ten fields in a row reacting to colu

I have looked through a number of the c.f. posts, and have seen one similar
to what I need from December of 2004 [I'll post below], but it's not quite
what I'm looking for].

I have a status column [E] that has approximately five different phrases
that can go in them. One of them is:
Completed

And when that happens, I'd like the row it is in [but just the ones that I'm
working with, which are A through F, to be shaded.

Now, from the post below I have seen how it can be done for one particular
row at a time, but I really need to be able to do the whole thing at once, so
that if I set E498 then A498:F498 will be shaded.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated...

FROM DECEMBER 2004
The Question:
I want to format a row based on the value of another cell. eg If cell N10
25 then fill (hi-light) row 10 (or A10:N10) with red colour.

THE RESPONSE:

Select A10:N10 or the entire row 10 if desired.

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=$N1025

Note the $ sign must be entered to make Column N absolute.

Pick a suitable red color from the FormatPatterns chart and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Bernie Deitrick

Matthew,

Use this when you have selected A10:F10, then copy down as far as needed:

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=$E10= "Completed"

Set your shading as desired.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"MatthewTap" wrote in message
[...]

MatthewTap

Bernie --

Thank you.

But I think I'm missing something [meaning I just don't know something I
probably should]... because I can go ahead and select A10:F10, and then do
what you wrote, adn get it set up for the one row [row 10], but you mentioned
to:

"copy down as far as needed"

and I'm not sure what exactly I'd be copying.... I can copy the row and
paste it and essentially paste it all the way down, but is there not an
easier way to do that? Or is that it?

Drop me a note and let me know if you could... and thanks again.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

[...]

Bernie Deitrick

MAtthew,

You can copy row 10 and paste special formats to lower rows, or you could select A10:F1000 and use
the same steps as you first went through.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

[...]

BekkiM

I was able to highlight the columns A:F and set my conditional formatting
that way:

Formala = $E1 = "Completed"

It usually translated just fine down through the entire worksheet (although
occasionally it would get "off" by a row--e.g., an update in row 10 would
affect row 11) I just spot-checked a few rows to make sure it was right.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

[...]

MatthewTap

Bernie and BekkiM --

Thank you both -- thanks for sticking with me and giving me another shot at
learning it, which I did when I saw it written another way.

Yes, it helped me very much. Another one of my Excel questions checked off.

Thanks!