Emory Richter

Default Excel.Xlb goes in what folder ?

I have backup files for my Excel toolbars
Excel.Xlb
and
user9.Xlb
but what folder do they go in?

My toolbars got messed up
and a search of the main drive C:\
does not find the originals.

Thank you,
Emory
Ron de Bruin

Search in hidden folders also

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Emory Richter" wrote in message om...

I have backup files for my Excel toolbars
Excel.Xlb
and
user9.Xlb
but what folder do they go in?

My toolbars got messed up
and a search of the main drive C:\
does not find the originals.

Thank you,
Emory

David McRitchie

Hi Emory,

If you do not have a toolbars file, Excel will create a new one.
It its updated every time that Excel is closed so if you find more than
one it will the latest date and the timestamp will match your last use.
So a search will show you where you have to restore to. Be sure to
restore while Excel is down and make sure it is down by checking
Task manager. If the directories do not match exactly you may have
to redo buttons and menus, but I do have a page to help with that (barhopper.htm),
but best to avoid problems.

Toolbars, Custom Buttons and Menus
Immediate recovery of your toolbars -- #EMERGENCY Recovery-- and hidden files
Effective ONLY if you have not exited Excel; otherwise, you need to restore
your backup, or carefully put things back manually.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#emergency

Other pages of interest
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
--
---
HTH,

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message ...
Search in hidden folders also

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Emory Richter" wrote in message om...

I have backup files for my Excel toolbars
Excel.Xlb
and
user9.Xlb
but what folder do they go in?

My toolbars got messed up
and a search of the main drive C:\
does not find the originals.

Thank you,
Emory

David McRitchie

Good, double check that buttons or menus that you installed
yourself are pointing to the correct folder. Very good that you have
a backup, even if you don't know what to do with it before you
need it, it makes things a lot simpler, expecially when you have
nothing (more) to lose. Do read about the Emergency recovery
though in my post because if you've not exited from Excel it's a lot easier.

Basically you do not want hidden files on your system they make
things a lot more complicated, less secure, and more vulnerable

"Emory Richter" wrote...
The toolbars are back they way they should be.
Thanks, Ron