Evert

Default How can I calculate the area between axis and dataseries xl2002

I'm trying to calculate the area of a graph (data series) between the x-axis
and the data-series in excel 2002. I don't know how. Please help!
Bernie Deitrick

Evert,

With your X-values in A1:A11, and your Y values in B1:B11, the formula

=SUMPRODUCT((B2:B11+B1:B10)*(A2:A11-A1:A10))/2

with return the trapezoidal approximation of the area under the curve.

Obviously, the smaller the interval of your X values, the better the resolution of the
approximation.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Evert" wrote in message
I'm trying to calculate the area of a graph (data series) between the x-axis
and the data-series in excel 2002. I don't know how. Please help!

Bernard Liengme

See my website www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Evert" wrote in message
I'm trying to calculate the area of a graph (data series) between the
x-axis
and the data-series in excel 2002. I don't know how. Please help!

Evert

The graph is a little more complicated. It hass these kind of points

X y
1 0
2 15
3 30
4 45
5 53
6 18
7 20
8 10
9 2
10 0

"Evert" wrote in message
I'm trying to calculate the area of a graph (data series) between the
x-axis
and the data-series in excel 2002. I don't know how. Please help!

Bernie Deitrick

My formula gives a value of 193:

=SUMPRODUCT((B2:B10+B1:B9)*(A2:A10-A1:A9))/2

--
HTH,
Bernie