Nat Clegg

Default How do I make a 0.5cm square plotting paper

I am trying to create some plotting paper for my daughter's homework and do
not understand how to make the row and coumn heights in excel fit to 0.5cm in
each case. What do I do? Also if I could do this, how can I make sure that it
will fit an A4 sheet of paper when printing so that the dimensions stay the
same?
Gary''s Student

Height is measured in points (72 points to the inch)
Width is measured in points (12 points to the inch)

An inch is 2.54 cm

So set row height to 14.17323
Set column width to 2.343305
--
Gary''s Student

"Nat Clegg" wrote:

I am trying to create some plotting paper for my daughter's homework and do
not understand how to make the row and coumn heights in excel fit to 0.5cm in
each case. What do I do? Also if I could do this, how can I make sure that it
will fit an A4 sheet of paper when printing so that the dimensions stay the
same?

JE McGimpsey

In article ,
Gary''s Student wrote:

Height is measured in points (72 points to the inch)
Width is measured in points (12 points to the inch)

Not quite. Width is set as the number of standard font numeric character
(e.g., 0) that will fit in the cell. You may have a standard font and
size that make that character exactly 12 points wide. That will
certainly not universally be the case.

MaxXL04 uses inches/cm directly to set cell heights and widths. AFAIK,
the only reliable way to do the same thing with WinXL is to use a macro
like

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

or perhaps the Microsoft Graph paper template:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...455571033.aspx
TH6

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

TH6.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Gary''s Student wrote:

Height is measured in points (72 points to the inch)
Width is measured in points (12 points to the inch)

Not quite. Width is set as the number of standard font numeric character
(e.g., 0) that will fit in the cell. You may have a standard font and
size that make that character exactly 12 points wide. That will
certainly not universally be the case.

MaxXL04 uses inches/cm directly to set cell heights and widths. AFAIK,
the only reliable way to do the same thing with WinXL is to use a macro
like

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

or perhaps the Microsoft Graph paper template:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...455571033.aspx

JE McGimpsey

Don't know what to tell you. Both solutions I gave work for me, but I'm
primarily using MacXL. I've never had a need for precision cell sizes,
either.

What happens if you use a different printer/driver?

In article ,
TH6 wrote:

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

TH6

I don't realy need it, but there should be a way to do it, and I think that's
a challenge.
Row and column size depends on the default font Excel uses when starting up.
When using Arial, a column size of 10 is 75 pixels, when using Arial Narrow
it is only 65 pixels. Row size stays the same.

Now, if I make both row and column size, say, 80 pixels, I get a square
cell. Or not? When drawing a rectangel from one corner to the other using the
ALT-key, the square is NOT square!

How is this possible?

Thijs.

TH6 wrote:

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

David McRitchie

Excel is not designed for this and you may be disappointed as
any slight change or change of printer may cause additional
frustration. You will also not be able to print to each edge of
the paper.

---
HTH,

TH6 wrote:

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Manuel Ramirez

I tried to do something like that, and concluded just measuring in pixels,
keeping in mind that 1cm is about 38 pixels. Anyway It a Microsoft product,
you will always find ridiculous details like this. What am I supose to do?
capture the screen and paste it in paint?

TH6 wrote:

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
protonLeah

From the DRAWING TOOLBAR, insert a rectangle.
Format its size as 0.196" for height and width.
Drag it to the upper left most corner of cell A1.
Select the entire worksheet, then drag the rightedge of column A1 to
overlap the right side of the rect. Do the same with the bottom of the
cell.
Delete the rectangle.
Select a border color of your choice for all lines

--
protonLeah
protonLeah's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32097

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

TH6 wrote:

I checked both solutions, and both do NOT make square cells. When I start to
draw a rectangle in the top left corner (using the ALT-key to snap it to the
corner), and pull it towards the lower right corner using the SHIFT-key to
make a square rectangle, it does not end up in the corner.

Still no real way to making a cell exactly square.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP