wbehnke

Default .xls file not found when .xls file clicked

Hi Folks,
I have a problem that is driving me up the wall. Whenever I click a
file of the type xxxx.xls (whether in browser, email, desktop,
commander or anywhere), my excel program opens up and then I get an
error message saying that xxxx.xls cannot be found.
When I open up excel and do it the long way by moving down the path to
the place where the file is located everything is OK
Excel is set as my standard program for .xls extensions.
This means that when I get an excel file in an email, I cant just click
it to open it up; instead I have to save it somewhere, then open up
excel, find the place where I saved the file and then open it.
I have spent weeks searching for the problem. Can anyone help me before
I go nuts? I still have 3 children to take care of at home.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Werner

--
wbehnke
wbehnke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27398

Ron de Bruin

Try this

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1 ) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"wbehnke" wrote in message

[...]

wbehnke

Thanks A Million! The First One Worked. You Have Improved The Quality Of
My Life!