Jonibenj

Default Check for doubled-up figures

How can I run a check on a column of figures to make sure that I haven't
doubled-up any of them? In other words, each number is only allowed to
be entered once, so if any of them appear more than once, I want to be
notified at the bottom.

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17048

Juan Pablo González

Put this formula next to the numbers

=COUNTIF(A:A, A2)=1

assuming your data is in column A, and starts in A2.

It will return TRUE for each unique number, or FALSE for each item that is
repeated.

Juan Pablo González
Excel MVP

"Jonibenj" wrote in
message ...

How can I run a check on a column of figures to make sure that I haven't
doubled-up any of them? In other words, each number is only allowed to
be entered once, so if any of them appear more than once, I want to be
notified at the bottom.

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469063

Jonibenj

Thanks Juan, that does the job nicely!

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17048
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469063

Jim May

Use conditional formatting;
Click on Column Header A,
Format, Conditional Formatting,
Select "FormulaIs" and enter:
=COUNTIF($A:$A,A1)1
Select Shade Yellow, say
OK out...
HTH

"Jonibenj" wrote in
message ...

How can I run a check on a column of figures to make sure that I haven't
doubled-up any of them? In other words, each number is only allowed to
be entered once, so if any of them appear more than once, I want to be
notified at the bottom.

Jonathan

--
Jonibenj
Jonibenj's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469063

Jonibenj

Thanks Jim, that's even better than Juan's tip as it doesn't take an
extra column.

Jonathan