Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default problem using Text to Columns (Excel 2003)

I import paragraphs of text into a spreadsheet regularly. I use Text to
Columns to fit the text into the visible part of the spreadsheet. But
occasionally I run into some text that, when pasted into the spreadsheet,
has a strange effect on the Text to Columns operation. This is what is
does:

1. whereas the default mode for file type is "delimited", this oddball text
changes that mode to "fixed width".
2. at the same time, in the Data Preview section where I usually chose and
mark a dividing line, the preview is filled with many dividing lines(10 or
more every 70 spaces, at random intervals) and it is very time consuming to
remove them one at a time.

This problem has been occurring mostly with text (paragraphs) I copy from a
Twitter account. I wonder if anyone knows of this problem and has a
workaround.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I import paragraphs of text into a spreadsheet regularly. I use Text to
Columns to fit the text into the visible part of the spreadsheet. But
occasionally I run into some text that, when pasted into the spreadsheet, has
a strange effect on the Text to Columns operation. This is what is does:

1. whereas the default mode for file type is "delimited", this oddball text
changes that mode to "fixed width".
2. at the same time, in the Data Preview section where I usually chose and
mark a dividing line, the preview is filled with many dividing lines(10 or
more every 70 spaces, at random intervals) and it is very time consuming to
remove them one at a time.

This problem has been occurring mostly with text (paragraphs) I copy from a
Twitter account. I wonder if anyone knows of this problem and has a
workaround.

Suggestion:
Try using a single column of reasonable width to view the paragraphs, and Wrap
Text turned on. This should render your paragraphs Exactly as rendered in
source.

*NOTE*
I always Paste online text into my text editor *before* I do anything with
it. Then I may remove any 'junk' in tow from the online HTML before I
Copy/Paste to a spreadsheet (Excel, Calc, my own).

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no idea how to do it
https://independent.academia.edu/PradeepKatiyar3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no idea how to do it
https://independent.academia.edu/PradeepKatiyar3

Re-read my post; - it explains how to preprocess online text before pasting
into Excel *and* it explains how to prepare a worksheet to receive the text.

Excel puts each "newline" on a separate row SO..., if your target column is
wide enough to suit the paragraphs will parse to their own individual rows.

Note that Copy/Paste only accepts 256 characters per cell so you may have to
copy/paste in blocks.