Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jbclem[_3_] jbclem[_3_] is offline

Default problem using Text to Columns (Excel 2003)

I import paragraphs of text into a spreadsheet regularly. I use Text to
Columns to fit the text into the visible part of the spreadsheet. But
occasionally I run into some text that, when pasted into the spreadsheet,
has a strange effect on the Text to Columns operation. This is what is
does:

1. whereas the default mode for file type is "delimited", this oddball text
changes that mode to "fixed width".
2. at the same time, in the Data Preview section where I usually chose and
mark a dividing line, the preview is filled with many dividing lines(10 or
more every 70 spaces, at random intervals) and it is very time consuming to
remove them one at a time.

This problem has been occurring mostly with text (paragraphs) I copy from a
Twitter account. I wonder if anyone knows of this problem and has a
workaround.