Old February 9th 18, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extracting text from formula result

I want to paste parts of this result in B28 to my image editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8awz4ldn8...lly-1.jpg?dl=0

Can I change the formula or its underlying format so that the correct
text appears in the edit box?

Alternatively, could I place another formula below it that would give me
that access?

Or must I do it manually with Paste Special Value? Or resort to
pasting the entire string to the clipboard and selectively pasting in
the external application (my image editor)?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old February 9th 18, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I want to paste parts of this result in B28 to my image editor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8awz4ldn8...lly-1.jpg?dl=0

Can I change the formula or its underlying format so that the correct
text appears in the edit box?

Alternatively, could I place another formula below it that would give me
that access?

Or must I do it manually with Paste Special Value? Or resort to
pasting the entire string to the clipboard and selectively pasting in
the external application (my image editor)?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

The 'default' property of a cell is 'Value'!
The text that appears is EXACTLY what the formula is structured to return. If
you want a different value displayed then either...

reconstruct the formula accordingly;

construct a new formula in another cell that returns the EXACT text
you want to put in your 'edit box';

...then paste the cell's Value into your 'edit box'.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Old December 31st 20, 03:05 PM
Junior Member

Default how to extract text from formula in excel

Create at least two columns next to the column with the data you want to split.
Then click the little triangle and select “Insert 1 right”. Repeat to create a second free column.
In the first free column, write =SPLIT(B1,"-"), with B1 being the cell you want to split and - the character you want the cell to split on. (If you see the error #REF! in your cell, you’ll need to create more columns.)
To apply the changes to the cells below, drag down the blue square in the bottom right of the selected cell(s). Double-click on the blue square to fill all remaining cells.

I hope this helpful!
Admin
Apps4Rent

Last edited by Tim Paine : December 31st 20 at 03:10 PM