Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting a cell based upon the contents of another cell

Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to format a cell so it highlights after another cell has been populated.

i.e

DH10 becomes a certain colour if text is populated in DG10, the problem is there is no standard or expected text going in DG10 so the normal conditional formatting rules I know don't work.

Many thanks

Julie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to format a cell so it highlights after
another cell has been populated.

i.e

DH10 becomes a certain colour if text is populated in DG10, the problem is
there is no standard or expected text going in DG10 so the normal conditional
formatting rules I know don't work.

Many thanks

Julie

Try using this formula to apply CF to DH10...

=LEN(DG10)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Julie,

Am Wed, 31 May 2017 08:13:52 -0700 (PDT) schrieb JulieS:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to format a cell so it highlights after another cell has been populated.

i.e

DH10 becomes a certain colour if text is populated in DG10, the problem is there is no standard or expected text going in DG10 so the normal conditional formatting rules I know don't work.

if DH10 should only change the color if DG10 is filled with text you can
also try:
=ISTTEXT(DG10)
If you enter a numeric value in DG10, DH10 doesn't change the color.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Julie,

Am Wed, 31 May 2017 18:00:11 +0200 schrieb Claus Busch:

=ISTTEXT(DG10)
If you enter a numeric value in DG10, DH10 doesn't change the color.

sorry, forgot to translate the formula:
=ISTEXT(DG10)

Regards
Claus B.