Junior Member

Default Values from a weighted average

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so hopefully this is posted in the correct place. I am trying to three derive values from a weighted average that I know. The below data starts in A1. I know the weighted average value of my data is 473.27, I need a formula to calculate the three missing values in C3-C5 and these three values must be of equal value. The three missing values are currently roughly 470 based on the weighted average of 473.27 but I need a formula as the 473.27 will change and I want those three missing values to move equally as the weighted average changes.

Volume Density Value
2,793.794 0.7393 482.48
2,656.384 0.7370
2,745.854 0.7345
2,546.092 0.7365

Weighted Average Value 473.27

Hopefully that description of the problem makes sense, some help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to three derive values from a weighted
average that I know.
The below data starts in A1. I know the weighted average
value of my
data is 473.27, I need a formula to calculate the three
missing values
in C3-C5 and these three values must be of equal value.
The three
missing values are currently roughly 470 based on the
weighted average
of 473.27 but I need a formula as the 473.27 will change
and I want
those three missing values to move equally as the weighted
average changes.

Volume Density Value
2,793.794 0.7393 482.48
2,656.384 0.7370
2,745.854 0.7345
2,546.092 0.7365

Weighted Average Value 473.27

I did some guessing about what "weighted average" means here, and came up with this approach.

In E1, I put 473.27. Having it in a cell makes it easier to change later.

In C3, I put
=(4*E1-C2)/3

In both C4 and C5, I put
=C3

The missing values are 470.2, which is close to the estimate.

Hope this helps getting started.