Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column Widths in Word and Excel

So it appears that Word and Excel use different measurements for column heights and widths. Word's table cell measurements are apparently in inches. Are Excel's in pixels? Not sure.

I have Excel tables I need to paste into Word. I want to set my Excel table heights and widths to match Word's. Is there a way to do this calculation? I tried converting inches to pixels and that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So it appears that Word and Excel use different measurements for
column heights and widths. Word's table cell measurements are
apparently in inches. Are Excel's in pixels? Not sure.

I have Excel tables I need to paste into Word. I want to set my Excel
table heights and widths to match Word's. Is there a way to do this
calculation? I tried converting inches to pixels and that doesn't
seem to work.

Thanks for your help.

Are you trying to paste from Excel table to Word table? L.O.L.!

Why not just paste the Excel table at a paragraph position, then size
to suit?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 3:25:32 PM UTC-5, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

Am Sat, 6 Jun 2015 13:06:30 -0700 (PDT) schrieb :

So it appears that Word and Excel use different measurements for
column heights and widths. Word's table cell measurements are
apparently in inches. Are Excel's in pixels? Not sure.

I have Excel tables I need to paste into Word. I want to set my
Excel table heights and widths to match Word's. Is there a way to
do this calculation? I tried converting inches to pixels and that
doesn't seem to work.

in Excel the width is the width in characters.
Try:
Excel options = Advanced = Display and set the ruler units to
inches. You can check the width of the columns in Word and can
modify the width in Excel = Page Layout.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Claus,

I was able to change the ruler unit to inches, but when I right click
and look at Column and Row Heights and Widths, the values haven't
changed. A half inch in Word shows as around 25 or so in Excel.

When I look at Page Layout, the only Width and Height options are for
pages, not columns or rows.

I also tried looking for a site that would convert inches to
characters and found some, but the character numbers are still much
lower than Excel's.

Am I missing something?

FWIW:
I do a lot of instruction manuals that ultimately get output to PDFs
for finishing up as userguides. I don't care much for using Word when
needing to include Excel content because there's nothing Word can do
that can't be done in Excel anyway. Thus, I do all manuals content
processing in Excel mostly to avoid issues such as you're wrestling
with here!.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at