Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Employee scheduling and re-assigning problem.

Hi, I have two lists. One is of the employees home position, and another is of other positions they are cross trained in. Lastly, I keep record of if they are absent or not.

How in excel can I program, the list of all the home positions and slot the employees into all the positions, and ensure they are all covered when there are some people absent? How would I structure this in excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:18:12 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi, I have two lists. One is of the employees home position, and another is of other positions they are cross trained in. Lastly, I keep record of if they are absent or not.

How in excel can I program, the list of all the home positions and slot the employees into all the positions, and ensure they are all covered when there are some people absent? How would I structure this in excel?

Tab 1: Employee home position
Tab 2: Employees (listed multiple times) and other non-home positions they can work.
tab 3: Absent or not

How do I write a macro (don't need exact code, just some direction) on how to iterate through this? I need all home positions covered, so if an employee is absent it needs to iterate through the tab 2 items and get the best fit to cover it all. Thoughts?