Junior Member

Default Locking Pages and/or Workbook

Hello, Everyone!

I hope this is the appropriate area to post this. If not, please forgive.

I have an Excel 2010 workbook I want to share with others. It is full of data (all text or just numbers, but no numeric calculations) and hyperlinks to either other sheets in the same workbook or hyperlinks to PDF files I keep in a subdirectory off my C:\ drive.

What I want to be able to do is allow others to see the data, move from sheet to sheet, hyperlink to the PDFs and see those, etc. but NOT alter any data or hyperlinks (no changing, adding, deleting, etc.).

It seems to me that protecting the workbook isn't the function I want, and there is no way to protect all sheets in one motion (I would have to individually protect every sheet, and there are LOTS). This becomes a bigger task since I would need to unprotect everything and make additions or changes frequently, and then re-protect everything to make it safe for others to use again. (I hope this makes sense.)

ANY help, suggestions or prayers appreciated!

Andrew....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about saving a copy as "Read Only" and making that public?

On the other hand, Protecting/Unprotecting many sheets can be done
easily with code if all sheets have the same password.

Sub ProtectAllSheets()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim N As Single
For N = 1 To Sheets.Count
Sheets(N).Protect Password:="justme"
Next N
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sub UnprotectAllSheets()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim N As Single
For N = 1 To Sheets.Count
Sheets(N).Unprotect Password:="justme"
Next N
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

You woild have to "Lock project from viewing" so's others could not
see the code and password.

Gord