Junior Member

Default TEXT "ddd" giving #N/A on some machines

Hi,

My first post here, hope someone can help.

I have created an Excel 2010 spreadsheet that is to be used in various European countries (I'm in the UK). One of the pilot testers in Austria (but otherwise using a UK laptop with UK settings) is experiencing the following issue whereas all other testers under similar conditions report no fault. I can't explain it...

I have a calculated date based on an input year: A1=DATE(Current_Year,1,1)
Adjacent to this I have B1=TEXT(A1,"ddd") in order to display Mon or Tue or Wed etc

This works fine in the version I've sent and recalculates fine. However, change the Current_Year and the result of the TEXT function becomes ddd (and not Mon etc)!

Can anyone explain why, and better still, how to fix this!?

Thanks,

Adrian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:48:48 +0100, _Adrian wrote:

[...]

Let's figure out the cause first.

That kind of error is seen when "ddd" is not a valid notation for "day".
Possibly the user has changed the Control Panel / Windows Regional Settings (NOT the Excel settings), to Austrian; or to German(Austria).
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] View Post
[...]

I wondered if the regional settings would make a difference within Excel, but his Excel Help for the TEXT function still shows ddd as being valid. I'll ask about his settings.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:59:14 +0100, _Adrian wrote:

I wondered if the regional settings would make a difference within
Excel, but his Excel Help for the TEXT function still shows ddd as being
valid. I'll ask about his settings.
Thanks.

I would be surprised if Excel HELP changed unless he had a non-English version of Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:59:14 +0100, _Adrian wrote:

I wondered if the regional settings would make a difference within
Excel, but his Excel Help for the TEXT function still shows ddd as being
valid. I'll ask about his settings.
Thanks.

If the problem is a regional settings issue, and the user does not wish to change is regional settings, you could use an xl4 macro to return the proper code.

You cannot use xl4 macro formulas directly in a worksheet, but you can use them as a Defined Name:

Formulas/Define Name
Name: DayCode
Refers to: =INDEX(GET.WORKSPACE(37),21)

Then, in the worksheet, use:

=TEXT(A1,REPT(DayCode,3))

This should work with any country setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:59:14 +0100, _Adrian wrote:

'Ron Rosenfeld[_2_ Wrote:
;1612001']On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:48:48 +0100, _Adrian
wrote:
-

[...]

Another of fixing this particular problem, if you do not require an actual TEXT value in B1, but merely need to see the day of the week, would be

B1: =A1

Then custom format B1 (in Excel) to "ddd". When the regional settings change, the format will also change appropriately.