Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "cannot shift objects off sheet" error

(Excel 2002, 10.2614.2625)
Spreadsheet has ~100x150 (rowsxcols). It uses conditional formatting to
color columns by whether they have a cell that matches that in the same
row of a 'filter' column. To visualize patterns over the whole sheet, I
reduce the column width to 1 (or less). This leaves the content not
readable, but the column colors are visible.

This used to work fine. Recently, when I try to reduce the width, I get
the message "cannot shift objects off sheet".

If I delete all comments, I do not get this error.

If I reduce the number of columns to less than ~80, the error goes away.
However, it doesn't seem to matter _which_ columns I delete - either
left or right, it seems to just be a matter of how many columns are
present.

Eliminating rows does not seem to help, unless I delete almost
everything.

This is not a huge issue; but, I would appreciate it if anyone could
shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

The problem is with the display real estate of the comments. Make sure
their position is within the boundaries of your visible cols and you'll
be fine. This will change if you resize cols and so must be adjusted
accordingly.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:22:57 -0400, GS wrote:

[...]

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what does "visible cols" refer to?
This sheet does not have any 'hidden' cols. 'Show comments' is not
enabled for any cells. (ie, comments are only visible on mouse
fly-over.) The cells in question contain zero, one, or two characters.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi George,

Am Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:05:29 -0400 schrieb George:

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what does "visible cols" refer to?
This sheet does not have any 'hidden' cols. 'Show comments' is not
enabled for any cells. (ie, comments are only visible on mouse
fly-over.) The cells in question contain zero, one, or two characters.

please have a look:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211769/en-us

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:12:12 +0100, Claus Busch
wrote:

Hi George,

Am Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:05:29 -0400 schrieb George:

If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what does "visible cols" refer to?
This sheet does not have any 'hidden' cols. 'Show comments' is not
enabled for any cells. (ie, comments are only visible on mouse
fly-over.) The cells in question contain zero, one, or two characters.

please have a look:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211769/en-us

Just in case anyone stumbles on this thread, I'll report how things
turned out:

AFAIK, the only 'objects' in this worksheet are comments. And, as
noted, if all comments are deleted, the column widths can be shrunk
without any problems.

Per the link, I re-formatted all comments in a group of columns to "move
and size with cell". Over a subset of these modified columns, the
re-size operation still failed. But, if the right-most of these columns
was omitted, the re-size worked.

To see if there was some un-fixed cell in that offending column, I
deleted all its comments. Re-size still failed. Likewise, when all
comments in each of the adjacent columns were _separately_ deleted.
However, if I simultaneously delete all comments in all three of these
columns, the re-size works over the subset in question.

This is beyond my skill set. I will just work around the problem, by
deleting _all_ comments when I want to view the sheet with the reduced
column width.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi George,

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:41:29 -0400 schrieb George:

Per the link, I re-formatted all comments in a group of columns to "move
and size with cell". Over a subset of these modified columns, the
re-size operation still failed. But, if the right-most of these columns
was omitted, the re-size worked.

just an idea:
Use the input message of the data validation for the right-most three
columns

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi George,

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:10:12 +0200 schrieb Claus Busch:

Use the input message of the data validation for the right-most three
columns

instead of comments

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:10:12 +0200, Claus Busch
wrote:

Hi George,

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:41:29 -0400 schrieb George:

Per the link, I re-formatted all comments in a group of columns to "move
and size with cell". Over a subset of these modified columns, the
re-size operation still failed. But, if the right-most of these columns
was omitted, the re-size worked.

just an idea:
Use the input message of the data validation for the right-most three
columns

Thanks. That's a clever; but, the fly-over feature of comments is
better for the way I use this sheet. It's not that big a deal to just
delete all comments when I want to see a 'compressed' view. It's just a
visual thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. That's a clever; but, the fly-over feature of comments is
better for the way I use this sheet. It's not that big a deal to
just delete all comments when I want to see a 'compressed' view.
It's just a visual thing.

As I already explained in my previous reply.., the problem is the
*display real estate* used by the rightmost comment[s]. They need to be
resized to fit within the display area. Optionally, you can insert 1
column to the right of your data and camouflage it (fill color) so it's
not noticeable. This will allow your data area comments to display
normally!