Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
George[_10_] George[_10_] is offline

Default "cannot shift objects off sheet" error

(Excel 2002, 10.2614.2625)
Spreadsheet has ~100x150 (rowsxcols). It uses conditional formatting to
color columns by whether they have a cell that matches that in the same
row of a 'filter' column. To visualize patterns over the whole sheet, I
reduce the column width to 1 (or less). This leaves the content not
readable, but the column colors are visible.

This used to work fine. Recently, when I try to reduce the width, I get
the message "cannot shift objects off sheet".

If I delete all comments, I do not get this error.

If I reduce the number of columns to less than ~80, the error goes away.
However, it doesn't seem to matter _which_ columns I delete - either
left or right, it seems to just be a matter of how many columns are
present.

Eliminating rows does not seem to help, unless I delete almost
everything.

This is not a huge issue; but, I would appreciate it if anyone could
shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks,