Mike in Berkeley

Default How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?

I'm converting a paper form to an excel version. I need one cell for the
user to enter a narrative. I want the printed copy to show the full entry.
I think 2000 to 2500 characters is probably long enough for most users.
The problem I'm running into is text that stops wrapping after about a 1000
characters.
Thanks for any help.
Bryan Hessey

Whilst there is the method of inserting ctrl/enter characters to reflect
more text you will find the odd user who will demand that 'more'
characters are displayed.

This, of course, also applies to printing.

One method is to insert 31 following rows as helper rows, and a formula
of
=mid(A1,1024,1024)
=mid(A1,2048,1024)
=mid(A1,3072,1024)
etc etc

This will display the full 32,768 characters permitted in a cell, and
will print the same.

It is messy, and I would recommend the use of a Word processor for
volume text processing.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466576

Roger Govier

Hi Mike

The Excel limitation or characters in a cell is 32767, but there is a
display limitation of 1000 characters.

You can overcome this if you have line breaks in your text. Whilst typing,
enter Alt+Enter after a number of sentences to force a new line.

You can insert the character for line feed CHAR(10) with a formula if
required e.g. in an adjacent column you could enter
=LEFT(A1,900)&CHAR(10)&MID(A1,901,900)&CHAR(10)&MI D(A1,1801,900)

--
Regards
Roger Govier