Johnny

Default How to reverse order of rows and columns

September 10, 2005

Hello, all,

I've made a big boo-boo in an Excel 2000 spreadsheet, and I can't figure
out how to fix it. Can you help?

I've created a table with 28 rows and 28 columns, and I've painstakingly
typed data into many of the resulting 784 cells. Only now do I realize
that the order of the columns is reversed, i.e., what was ABCD needs to
be DCBA. Same with the 28 rows, which have slightly different names.

You can see the table as it is now by opening or downloading it from
http://barelybad.com/eraseme_excel_test01.xls.

As you can see, the columns run from Noland to Ridgeview, and I'd like
them to run from Ridgeview to Noland. Again, same with the rows.

My question is how to accomplish a one-time re-ordering of the columns
and the rows while, of course, keeping the data where they belong. Is
there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can offer, and the more detailed the better,
because I'm not all that familiar with Excel.

--Johnny
barelybad aattsiggnn h o t m a i l --dot-- c o m

Bryan Hessey

Johnny,

Unhide rows 4-5

Insert a 1 in A4, and Ctrl/+drag this to A31 to number the rows.
(that is, hold CTRL and drag the + sign in the bottom right corner of
the selected A6)
Select rows 4 to 31, Data, Sort, sort descending

then - unhide columns D - AE

Insert a 1 in D1 and Ctrl/+drag to AE1 to number the columns
select columns D to AE and Data, Sort, Options (select Left ro Right),
and sort descending

Clear A1 to A31 and D1 to AE1

that should give what you seek.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466559

Shatin

First re-arrange the table vertically:

- Highlight column B and insert a new column. There should now be a new
column B that is blank.
- In this new column B, next to the names Noland, Crysler etc. enter the
numbers 1, 2... all the way down to 28 for Ridgeview.
- Highlight the area you want to re-organize. (Should be B4:AF31)
- Choose from the menu DataSort.
- Under "Sort by" choose Column B, and also click the "Descending" button.
- For "My data range has", make sure that you choose "No header row"
- Then OK.
- Delete column B that you just created since this is no longer needed.

To re-arrange the table horizontally, the process is similar. You just
insert a new row instead of a new column. When you do the sorting, choose
"Options" and then for "Orientation" choose "Sort Left to Right".

"Johnny" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Johnny

Thanks to Bryan Hessey and Shatin, who came up with the same idea. It
worked, and you saved me a LOT of tedious and error-prone typing.

The Internet is great because of selfless and competent people like you.

--Johnny