Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Audit mode active in one column only; cannot kill.

This is unbelievable. I've been using Excel for decades and this is a
first.

I'm using Excel 2002 SP3. My workbook, about 2 MB in size, has
several worksheets. The workbook has gotten corrupted in an extremely
unusual way.

If I invoke a particular UDF in the third column of any sheet in the
book, Excel refuses to evaluate it and keeps the cell in Formula Audit
mode.

You heard me right. If I enter "=MyFunc1(<params)" in any cell in
column 3 of any sheet in the book, Excel displays the formula, not the
result.

But if I invoke any -other- UDF, e.g. "=MyFunc2(...)", in column 3 of
any sheet, Excel displays the result fine.

Conversely, if I enter "=MyFunc1(...)" in any -but- column 3 of any
sheet, likewise the result is fine.

Furthermore, any cell dependent on any such corrupted column-3 cell--
at any location in the workbook--is corrupted.

If I insert a new sheet in the workbook, column 3 of that sheet is
corrupted.

Toggling global audit mode on/off fails to clear it.

Killing Excel with the Task Manager and restarting fails to clear it.
The condition seems to be stored in the workbook file. (If I File
Close the workbook, leaving Excel with a gray sheetless screen, then
create a new workbook, the condition is finally gone. (Of course, the
brand new sheet has no reference to, or code for, UDF MyFunc1.)

I see no reference whatsoever in Excel of a capability to toggle audit
mode on/off for anything other than globally. The cell context menu
(Shift-F10) certainly has no audit option.

Is my workbook corrupted, or is this a known feature? If the latter,
how do you turn it off?

Thanks very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:
[...]

******

<USER ERROR! <TILT! <DUMMKOPF! <IDIOT SAVANT! <OF WHICH ONLY
THE FIRST WORD IS TRUE!

Ignore my message.

My UDF MyFunc1 was written years ago. It never dawned on me to look
at the code. And here is what it says, of course:

With Selection
If .Column = 3 then
MyFunc1 = .Formula
End If