Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default help on summing a random combination

Hello, [Sorry if this is a xpost, I am new to these groups]

I have a decent grasp on the workings of Excel, but I am not extremely versed in macros. I am working on costing a buffet table spread to determine the average cost per pound of food a customer buys. I have 59 unique cells (which refer to the 59 unique prices by oz that the buffet offers). Is there a method to randomly select..let's say.. 8 of these dishes and calculate the sum of their prices? How can I include a rule that ensures that the weight of these 8 dishes sum up to 16 oz? I would like to utilize the cell randomization, so that the overall price changes and presents different scenarios.

I have written RAND rules to establish sensible maximum and minimums...(=RAND()*(5-0.1)+0.1 ) for salad dressing, because I do not believe someone would purchase 16 oz worth of dressing, etc...

Does anyone have advice / input on where I should start / functions I should look into?

Thanks for your help,
Kay.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:
[Sorry if this is a xpost, I am new to these groups]

Actually, this is a "multipost", not a bona fide crosspost.

And yes, please do not do that in the future.

I have responded to your posting in microsoft.public.worksheet.functions.
Let's keep all discussion there to avoid confusion.