Junior Member

Default Need help Extract numbers

I want to extract a list from J6 to K6 and so on. The list varies and can change so i just want to extract the number here is part of the list
High (4)
Extreme (2)
High (7)

Last edited by kdm5g : July 9th 12 at 04:51 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:49:14 +0000, kdm5g wrote:

I want to extract a list from J6 to K6 and so on. The list varies and
can change so i just want to extract the number here is part of the list

High (4)
Extreme (2)
High (7)

You can use a formula to extract the number. The following formula assumes that your numbers are positive, and that there will be no more than three characters in the numeric expression. If there are more than three characters, then merely extend the array constant near the end (the one that presently looks like {1,2,3}.

This formula must be **array-entered**:

=MAX(IFERROR(--MID(J6,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},J6&"12345678 90")),{1,2,3}),""))

To **array-enter** a formula, after entering
the formula into the cell or formula bar, hold down
<ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. If you did this
correctly, Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.
Junior Member

It worked great, however I have numbers ranging up to 20. How do I change that?! Thanks for all your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:33:56 +0000, kdm5g wrote:

It worked great, however I have numbers ranging up to 20. How do I
change that?! Thanks for all your help!

I must not have understood something from your description.

Please show the exact types of entries that you are having a problem with, the result of using the formula, and your expected output.