Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Matching records based on a common field

I got some brilliant help last year from people on this Group, so I thought I might try my luck again.

My research involves analysing a third-party database of words and phrases. I have a workbook containing 13 worksheets. The first one contains a list of 20,000+ line numbers (sequential but with some numbers missing) with a word and a frequency count for each line number: three columns in total. The other twelve worksheets contain items from the database, analysed into 12 categories. The common field across all 13 worksheets is the line number.

I need to add the appropriate frequency count (from the first worksheet)in a new column, to each of the line numbers in each of the 12 worksheets. I have tried to Google a solution but have not found one that corresponds to my particular problem. It seems that a combination of INDEX and MATCH might be the basis of the solution, but I do not understand how to apply them.

Any help would be gratefully received. Best regards,
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

KevinUK laid this down on his screen :
[...]

Have a look at the VLOOKUP() function. It should do what you want.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc