Junior Member

Default A way to extract info from multiple excel files, based on content?

I have multiple excel files (one for each type of contract), but I need to submit a report listing all active contracts by parter company (plus the names of each contract manager, the value, etc). Each partner company has a code it is identified by, and I am looking for a way to extract the info based on these codes. I am familiar with macros but not programming. Is there a simple way to do this?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinalex View Post
I have multiple excel files (one for each type of contract), but I need to submit a report listing all active contracts by parter company (plus the names of each contract manager, the value, etc). Each partner company has a code it is identified by, and I am looking for a way to extract the info based on these codes. I am familiar with macros but not programming. Is there a simple way to do this?
Hi,

Without seeing the files (or dummy versions of) it's hard to say exactly. But if you have unique references you could use those to vlookup / hlookup the necessary information from the sheets.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Ron de Bruin's site for code examples.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

Scroll down to copy/paste/merge examples section. Browse through his
several methods to extract data from multiple workbooks.

Gord

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:09:08 +0000, Karinalex
wrote:

I have multiple excel files (one for each type of contract), but I need
to submit a report listing all active contracts by parter company (plus
the names of each contract manager, the value, etc). Each partner
company has a code it is identified by, and I am looking for a way to
extract the info based on these codes. I am familiar with macros but not
programming. Is there a simple way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Karinalex was thinking very hard :
I have multiple excel files (one for each type of contract), but I need
to submit a report listing all active contracts by parter company (plus
the names of each contract manager, the value, etc). Each partner
company has a code it is identified by, and I am looking for a way to
extract the info based on these codes. I am familiar with macros but not
programming. Is there a simple way to do this?

To answer your Q.., 'NO'! Whether you open each file and pull the
wanted data OR use ADODB to read the data from the files (without
opening them in Excel), the process will be fairly 'non-trivial'
because you're looking only to pull certain bits of info from the
source files.

I'd go with using ADODB because I can pull 'selective' data into a
recordset via my SQL statement and 'put' that into a worksheet where I
want it to appear.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!