Junior Member

Default HOW-TO make a random selection from a set of data and divide it into sub-team

Hi,

I need some help. I need to divide a group people in random teams and have these groups reformed twice per month. here is an example. Lets say i have a group of 10 people and need to divide them in random teams of 2

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

I would like a result like 1-4, 2-10, 9-5, 7-6, 8-3 Which function can give a result like that? I need combinations of people where each person cannot be in more than one team.

Is it possible in Excel?

Thank you
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanat0s View Post
[...]

Have a look at the attached. Does this do what you mean?

Put your names in column C.
Column A allocates a random number between 1 & 10 to each name.
Column B ensures none of the numbers are repeated.
Columns F & J looks up the number in column B and returns the relevant name.

To "randomise" it, just press the F9 key.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it's not quite what you need or if you need amendments.

S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RandomTeamGenerator.zip (6.5 KB, 56 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need some help. I need to divide a group people in random teams and
have these groups reformed twice per month. here is an example. Lets say
i have a group of 10 people and need to divide them in random teams of
2

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

With the people in A1:A10, one way is to put
=RAND()
in B1:B10.

To randomize, select columns A:B and sort by column B. The teams are in A1:A2, A3:A4, A5:A6, etc.

Next time, randomize by sorting again.

Hope this helps.