orpheus

Default Enabling Arabic numerals in Excel

I'm hoping someone can help!

I am running MS Office 2003 on Windows XP and have Arabic enabled and
working perfectly throughout my Office 2003 applications, with one
exception. I cannot get Excel to use Arabic numerals. I have tried
everything I've found on this so far - mainly relating to setting the
text direction to 'context' in slightly different ways. The principle
of this worked in Word, but doesn't work for me in Excel. I am getting
somewhat frustrated and hope someone else has an idea of what I am
doing wrong!

Thanks a million in advance

orpheus

Ron Rosenfeld

On 5 Sep 2005 05:04:45 -0700, "orpheus" wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help!

I am running MS Office 2003 on Windows XP and have Arabic enabled and
working perfectly throughout my Office 2003 applications, with one
exception. I cannot get Excel to use Arabic numerals. I have tried
everything I've found on this so far - mainly relating to setting the
text direction to 'context' in slightly different ways. The principle
of this worked in Word, but doesn't work for me in Excel. I am getting
somewhat frustrated and hope someone else has an idea of what I am
doing wrong!

Thanks a million in advance

orpheus

I don't believe you can do that unless you have a font that has the arabic
numerals "slotted into" the usual number slots.

You may be able to do this with currency; but you may need to reset your
Regional Settings to Arabic.

--ron
orpheus

Arabic language actually has its own characters for numbers. I can't
paste them in here, unfortunately, but they are not the standard 1,2,3,
etc. These are the characters I can get in Word, but not Excel.

"orpheus" wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help!

I am running MS Office 2003 on Windows XP and have Arabic enabled and
working perfectly throughout my Office 2003 applications, with one
exception. I cannot get Excel to use Arabic numerals. I have tried
everything I've found on this so far - mainly relating to setting the
text direction to 'context' in slightly different ways. The principle
of this worked in Word, but doesn't work for me in Excel. I am getting
somewhat frustrated and hope someone else has an idea of what I am
doing wrong!

Thanks a million in advance

orpheus

orpheus

My regional settings have been set. I can switch between the languages
very easily, the only hiccup I have is getting Arabic numerals to
display in Excel. Its quite happy to produce text in Arabic though!

Ron Rosenfeld

On 6 Sep 2005 03:13:32 -0700, "orpheus" wrote:

My regional settings have been set. I can switch between the languages
very easily, the only hiccup I have is getting Arabic numerals to
display in Excel. Its quite happy to produce text in Arabic though!

As I wrote, it seems to do this with currency if you set the regional settings
to Arabic (first). And then set the currency format in Excel to Arabic.

However, in the few arabic fonts I have on my machine, the arabic numerals are
not in the "number" slot.

I think if you procured an arabic font that had the arabic numerals in the
proper slot, what you want would work properly in all cases.

--ron
orpheus

I'll give that a bash, thanks. Just so wierd that Word is all set up to
handle the full arabic number set and alphabet and Excel, where numbers
are more important, can't handle arabic numbers!