Tiff1618

Default Another question about IF(COUNTIF) checks in Excel

wrote in message
Hey again,

Is there a formula I can use to figure out if there is one specific phrase
in a selection?

I'm updating the attendance prgram at the school that I work at. Every
student has their own attendance sheet in Excel, and each sheet sort of
looks
like this:

|Monday|
Period 1:| A | (A=Absent; S=Seat time)
Period 2:| S |
Period 3:| A |

So basically, if they have one or more "S"s, we can count them as being
present for the day. I need the formula to find out if there is an "S" in
that column, and if there is, I need it to type an "S" in the attendance
report, which sort of looks like this:
DATE: |1|2|3|
Student Name |S| | |

Sorry if that got a little complicated. Is there any way to do this?

Oh, one more question. This is rediculously complicated, I know, but... when
you use the IF(COUNTIF) formula, can you put another IF(COUNTIF) check in
the "value if false" spot? Because if there isn't an "S" in the column, it
needs to be able to check for a "P" or an "N" (independent study or not
enrolled) and mark
that instead.

I've been trying to figure it out with the =OR formula but I keep getting
errors. This is what I've been typing that's not working and I don't know why:

=OR(IF(COUNTIF(AA8:AA10,"S"),"S",(IF(COUNTIF(AA8:A A10,"P"),"P","A"))))

Any ideas?

Dave Peterson

Maybe...

=IF(COUNTIF(AA8:AA10,"S"),"S",IF(COUNTIF(AA8:AA10, "P"),"P","A"))

would do what you want.

--

Dave Peterson