Nigel

Default Changing cell value with arrows (?)

I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down arrow assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function in Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria
JulieD

Hi Nigel

i think you might be talking about the spin button control from the control
toolbar

1. choose view / toolbars / control toolbar
2. click on the spin button control and then click on a cell
3. right mouse click on the spin button control on your worksheet and choose
properties
4. click in the linked cell field and type a cell reference, e.g. A1
5. on the control toolbar click on the Exit Design Mode icon (top left)
6. type a value (e.g. 5) into the cell you linked to the spin button (e.g.
A1)
7. and now click on the up & down arrows

hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function in Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

JulieD

you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

Jack Sons

Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For instance to
get the months of the year from january to december and all months between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of month (if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe

too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

JulieD

Hi Jack

I think what you are after could be achieved with a spin control & some code
.... so do you want to see the number 1 for january or the word "january".?

additionally, what do you want to do if the person using the workbook
doesn't want to use the spin controls to select the value - personally i
hate spin controls and i think the only time i have ever used them in any
way at all was when answering Nigel's question. So if i was faced with a
workbook with a spin control on it, i would be looking for an alternative
way to enter the data - this might not be an issue for you, but it may be
for your users.

cheers
JulieD

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For instance to
get the months of the year from january to december and all months
between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of month (if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down
arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe

too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

Jack Sons

Julie,

January in stead of 1, please.

"& some code ", but what code, I can't figure it out? Especially how to
couple the day in spin 2 to the month in spin 1. Example: july (spin 1) plus
31 (spin 2) is OK, but june plus 31 is not, shoul perhaps result in a
message like "day is not valid"?

additionally, what do you want to do if the person using the workbook
doesn't want to use the spin controls to select the value

Why would one not want to use the spun controles?

personally i hate spin controls

Why? It seems a nice thing to me. When picking from a drop down list you can
see the correct item, think you click it, yet clicki the item below or
above. If you already looked away you perhaps won't notice the error. With
spin controls it is wysiwyg, you see only one item at the time and when you
stop spinning the thing you saw in the cell really will be there. Or do I
think along a wrong line?

Jack.

"JulieD" schreef in bericht

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For instance

get the months of the year from january to december and all months
between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of month

(if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it

the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down
arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed (maybe

too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function

in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

JulieD

Hi Jack

i've set up a little workbook that has three spin buttons and some
associated code - for year, month & day (i have not coded in leap year
calcs) i'm sending it to you now.

Cheers
JulieD

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For instance

get the months of the year from january to december and all months
between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of month

(if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it

the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down
arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed
(maybe
too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the function

in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

Jack Sons

Julie,

Very nice, thank you.

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For

instance
get the months of the year from january to december and all months
between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of

month
(if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.

"Nigel" wrote in message
I saw a presentation yesterday using an Excel Spreadsheet. In it

the
presenter changed the value in a cell by pressing an up or down
arrow
assign
to that cell.
I have not seen this functionality before and was impressed
(maybe
too
easily)- however today I have not been able to find the

function
in
Excel.
Can anybody help and tell me what this is, and how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Nigel Walker
Pretoria

JulieD

you're welcome

just a note on not liking spin buttons, i think it's probably because i can
type faster than i can find the mouse on my desk :)

Cheers
JulieD

"Jack Sons" wrote in message
Julie,

What should I do to use spin buttons for selecting dates. For

instance
get the months of the year from january to december and all months
between.
Also for the day of the month, preferably coupled to the kind of

month
(if
june was selected the maximum day number would be 30, not 31) etc.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

"JulieD" schreef in bericht
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

"Nigel" wrote in message
Thank you - exactly what I saw.