Charlie Gotwald

Default No blank lines in text files

When opening a comma delimited text file, I no longer get blank lines where I
used to in EXCEL2K. Did microsoft "fix" a problem that I need to break again?
How do I restore the PROPER importation of blank lines?
Earl Kiosterud

Charlie,

With Excel 2002, empty lines do result in empty rows. This seems to work
with File - Open, with a *.txt file, which means the text import wizard is
invoked. It also works with a *.csv file (which doesn't invoke the Text
Import Wizard. It also works with Data - Import External data - Import
data. It seems to work with totally empty lines in the text file (only the
CRLF, but no commas, or a line full of only commas. What do you see for the
blank lines if you open the text file with NotePad? Are you using Excel
2003? I don't know if they "fixed" that version.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Charlie Gotwald" wrote in
message ...
When opening a comma delimited text file, I no longer get blank lines
where I
used to in EXCEL2K. Did microsoft "fix" a problem that I need to break
again?
How do I restore the PROPER importation of blank lines?

Charlie Gotwald

I just upgraded to XL2003. What I used to do in XL2000 no longer works. A
comma delimitted file created on a Sun Solaris Unix workstation would open
with all lines (includedblank ones) properly in XL2000. Opening the file in
Wordpad shows empty lines.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Charlie Gotwald

Hmmmm...

I renamed the file to be opened to *.csv and viola, by NOT using the import
wizard, I get my empty rows. It still doesn't seem right though.