DejaVu

Default Show Formula / Hide Formula

I have some data in (for example) column A:
5
49
4

I don't want to see the formula when I enter this formula into A4:
=SUM(A1:A3)

I want it to show me: 58
And NOT =SUM(A1:A3)

I went to Format | Cells | Protection Tab and "Locked" is not checked.

I'm at a loss and I cannot get it to show anything but the formula.

TIA for any help!

DejaVu

--
DejaVu
DejaVu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22629

Paul Sheppard

DejaVu Wrote:
I have some data in (for example) column A:
5
49
4

I don't want to see the formula when I enter this formula into A4:
=SUM(A1:A3)

I want it to show me: 58
And NOT =SUM(A1:A3)

I went to Format | Cells | Protection Tab and "Locked" is not checked.

I'm at a loss and I cannot get it to show anything but the formula.

TIA for any help!

DejaVu

Hi DejaVu

Try Tools Options View Tab, under Window Options at the bottom,
uncheck the formula box

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400504

FSt1

hi,
check the cell with the formula to see if there is an apostrophe ' in front
of the equal sign. if so remove it. and apostrophe in front of a formula
makes the formula show up a text and not a formula. Post back if that is not
it.

Regards
FSt1

"DejaVu" wrote:

I have some data in (for example) column A:
5
49
4

I don't want to see the formula when I enter this formula into A4:
=SUM(A1:A3)

I want it to show me: 58
And NOT =SUM(A1:A3)

I went to Format | Cells | Protection Tab and "Locked" is not checked.

I'm at a loss and I cannot get it to show anything but the formula.

TIA for any help!

DejaVu

--
DejaVu
DejaVu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22629
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400504

pennyrod

ToolsOptionsview

uncheck formulas option.

"DejaVu" wrote in
message ...

I have some data in (for example) column A:
5
49
4

I don't want to see the formula when I enter this formula into A4:
=SUM(A1:A3)

I want it to show me: 58
And NOT =SUM(A1:A3)

I went to Format | Cells | Protection Tab and "Locked" is not checked.

I'm at a loss and I cannot get it to show anything but the formula.

TIA for any help!

DejaVu

--
DejaVu
DejaVu's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400504

Dave Peterson

Make sure the cell is formatted to General (or Number)--anything but Text.
(Format|Cells|number tab)

Then select that cell, hit F2 followed by enter.

If you still see the formula, make sure you're not viewing formulas:

tools|options|view tab|make sure Formulas is not checked.

DejaVu wrote:

I have some data in (for example) column A:
5
49
4

I don't want to see the formula when I enter this formula into A4:
=SUM(A1:A3)

I want it to show me: 58
And NOT =SUM(A1:A3)

I went to Format | Cells | Protection Tab and "Locked" is not checked.

I'm at a loss and I cannot get it to show anything but the formula.

TIA for any help!

DejaVu

--
DejaVu
DejaVu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22629
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400504

--

Dave Peterson

DejaVu

Thanks to all who provided responses. I should have been more specific
on what all I had tried. I had already tried to go to Tools Options
and Formulas was not checked.

I am 100% sure that there is not an apostrophe in front of my formula.

Finally - Thanks Dave! The cell was formatted as text. I tried that
once before, but I never re-entered the formula. I just assumed it
would update automatically.

Problem Solved!!

Thanks All!

DejaVu