IcyMan

Default precedent

I want to use a precedent in a formula with an easy command.

As an example:
I have =MATCH(B6,$C:$C,0) in cell #X.
[MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type)]

I want to create a formula in a blank cell like this:
If lookup_value in cell #X (which is B6) is bla bla
do bla bla....

I cannot find a way to trace the precedent (B6). I do not know how to use
SQL or anything likewise (except standard Excel formulations and basic JAVA)

I'd appreciate any help...
Max

Maybe something like this in say, D6:

=IF(B6="","",MATCH(B6,$C:$C,0))

which will keep D6 blank
until there's a value in B6 for the evaluation of the MATCH
--
Rgds
Max
"IcyMan" wrote in message
I want to use a precedent in a formula with an easy command.

As an example:
I have =MATCH(B6,$C:$C,0) in cell #X.
[MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type)]

I want to create a formula in a blank cell like this:
If lookup_value in cell #X (which is B6) is bla bla
do bla bla....

I cannot find a way to trace the precedent (B6). I do not know how to use
SQL or anything likewise (except standard Excel formulations and basic

JAVA)

I'd appreciate any help...

IcyMan

But you wrote B6 in your formula. If you are tracing the precedent which is
B6 in this example, you shouldn't use it in your formula. That has to be your
result. Like using lookup_value in formula and getting B6 in the result..

"IcyMan" wrote in message
I want to use a precedent in a formula with an easy command.

As an example:
I have =MATCH(B6,$C:$C,0) in cell #X.
[MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type)]

I want to create a formula in a blank cell like this:
If lookup_value in cell #X (which is B6) is bla bla
do bla bla....

I cannot find a way to trace the precedent (B6). I do not know how to use
SQL or anything likewise (except standard Excel formulations and basic

JAVA)

I'd appreciate any help...

Max

Then my guess was out as to what you meant by:
" .. tracing the precedent .. "

Maybe hang around awhile for better views from others ..
--
Rgds
Max